Wicked Fennel Soup | Power of Fennel [RECIPE]
What’s up with this crazy liquorice tasting vegetable?? We see it in the store but maybe never pick it up! It’s kinda funny looking and maybe not sure how to use it… So let’s pick it up.. and make some Wicked Fennel Soup. Ya? I think it’s so amazing how each vegetable, fruit, spice and so on all has it’s health benefits for us. I am learning so much from blogging and I love it. Knowledge is Power !
First – The POWER of Fennel ~ what will it offer to our bodies.
- High in Potassium
- Fennel is diuretic so it will increases the amount and frequency of urination, so it helps remove toxic substances from our bodies.
- It strengthens your hair, helps prevent hair loss, relaxes our bodies, and supposedly sharpens our memory.
- Fennel extract is used to treat a number of conditions including anemia, indigestion, flatulence, constipation, colic, diarrhea, respiratory disorders, menstrual disorders and eye care. I read a few places it’s great for your eyes.
Here’s my recipe, now add or take away to it all you want.. I don’t make it exactly the same every time. Have fun with your cooking.
My Wicked Fennel Soup Ingredients:
- 2 Sweet potatoes (cooked, but still slightly firm)
- 3-4 Shallots
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- Thumb size piece of ginger
- 1-2 red, green or yellow peppers
- Half- 3/4 of a bulb of Fennel
- 1-2Tbs of Chilli flakes (or hotter if you want)
- handful of kale
- handful of spinach
- 2-4 cups Veg Stock (depends on how much your making, I added 3 cups)
- 1 cup of Coconut Milk
- grind peper & seas salt.
- Clear rice Noodles (OPTIONAL)
- pumpkin seeds to garnish
*Add any other veggies you think would flow and if you eat chicken or fish you can add it in this soup as well.
Saute your garlic, shallots and ginger in a pot, caramelize it and enjoy the aroma.
* If your adding fish or chicken add it here.
Add your peppers, fennel, cooked potatoes, chilli flakes and saute along with the rest.
Add kale and spinach and mix just before you pour your Veg Stock in.
Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Pour in your Coconut Milk and cook for another 5-10 mintues. Season it and add your noodles if you want them in it.
Let the noodles cook, pour into bowl sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top and then enjoy it!
I had it for lunch for the next 3 days, it got spicier each bowl I ate. So try this one out and let me know what you think of it . CK’s likes it without noodles well I enjoy the soup with them. Soup is SO EASY to make and pretty cost effective too. It’s great having it in the fridge to snack on, share some with your family!